Thursday, 16 September 2010
Reported by Richard Thibodeau
The Guild’s Vintages Pre-Release tastings took on an additional feature with this VPR; it included some wines suggested by members slated for release on the following Saturday. Look for information on how this feature works in the announcement of the October VPR.
Tasting from the September release.Guild Director Ian Duncan hosted the September VPR, a release featuring Ontario’s signature styles and red wines from Portugal’s Douro region. All wines were tasted blind, as is the usual practice. Ian chose a white flight and three red flights; the last wine of the evening being an LCBO In-Store Discovery—a Vintage Port—which made a nice end to the evening. It was good to see quite a few new attendees at this sold out VPR. Here are the tasting notes.
The white flight consisted of three wines: two Niagara Rieslings and a Gros Manseng from France’s Jurançon region. Twenty Twenty-Seven Cellars, Falls River Vineyard Riesling 2008: White
peach, lime, minerals, apple, citrus with florals. A well-structured dry Riesling. Tasting beyond its age. Featherstone Old Vines Riesling 2008: Good texture and
well-balanced with citrus and lemon with wax, mineral, and oily notes (okay, it could have been petrol). This wine won Bronze at the 2009 All Canadian Wine Championships. Grain Sauvage Blanc de Blancs 2008: Sweeter than either of the dry Rieslings, this wine had a big presentation with peaches, orange and good acidity. Long finish. This was the favourite wine of this flight.
The first red flight consisted of two Ontario Pinot Noirs and a value-priced Bordeaux. There was no clear winner or favourite in this flight; or you could say, they were all winners. Norman Hardie County Pinot Noir 2008: Cherry, smoky, earthy. There’s lots of stuff going on here. Light on the palate. Lailey Pinot Noir 2008: Wild strawberry, cherry, spice, balanced, excellent length. A bit more weight on the palate. Château Lary 2006: After the initial barnyard nose, plum, raspberry, smoke, spice. This wine was awarded a Médaille d’Or at the 2007 Concours Général Agricole de Paris.
Three Douro wines and a Spanish red from just north of Portugal comprised the second red flight. Vale do Bomfim 2008: Raspberry, cherry, spice, oak. A delicious wine. Quinta do Tedo 2007: Red plum, cherry, baked fruit, chocolate. Well balanced. Long fruit finish. A favourite. Another best buy wine and an LCBO ‘wine of the month’. Descendientes de J. Palacios Pétalos 2008: Dark berry, cherry, cedar spice, tangerine, floral, good tannins. Long finish. The other flight favourite. Quinta dos Aciprestes Reserva 2007: Big plum, cherry, smoke, toast. Long. Good tannins, and chewy. A big red you can begin your day on.
In the back roomAnd for the last flight … Quinta do Crasto Old Vines Reserva 2007: Intense plum, black cherry, dark fruits, spice, toast. Luscious. Burge Family Syrah-Grenache- Mourvèdre Olive Hill 2006: A big extract wine, complex, black cherry, spice, earth. Stylish and long.
And lastly, but not least, the Delaforce Quinta da Corte Vintage Port 1995: As a special treat, Ian included a single vineyard port from Delaforce. Black fruit, spice, full-bodied, nice long smooth finish, well integrated. A mature port drinking now and only available in limited quantities.
The lively discussions and the delightful port that ended the tasting actually meant the event finished a bit later than usual, but It was yet another good evening at a VPR.
- Twenty Twenty-Seven Cellars, Falls River Vineyard Riesling 2008, VQA Vinemount Ridge, Niagara Peninsula, 92353, $24.95
- Featherstone Old Vines Riesling 2008, VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Peninsula, 064584, $19.95
- Grain Sauvage Blanc de Blancs 2008, AC Jurançon, France, 176727, $15.95
Red Flight #1
- Norman Hardie County Pinot Noir 2008, VQA Prince Edward County, 125310, $35.20
- Lailey Pinot Noir 2008, VQA Niagara Peninsula, 591404, $25.00
- Château Lary 2006, AC Bordeaux, France, 177048, $14.95
Red Flight #2
- Vale do Bomfim 2008, DOC Douro, Portugal, 167676, $14.95
- Quinta do Tedo 2007, DOC Douro, Portugal, 170217, $17.95
- Descendientes de J. Palacios Pétalos 2008, DO Bierzo, Spain, 675207, $21.95
- Quinta dos Aciprestes Reserva 2007, DOC Douro, Portugal, 167627, $21.95
Red Flight #3
- Quinta do Crasto Old Vines Reserva 2007, DOC Douro, Portugal, 990572, $34.95
- Burge Family Syrah-Grenache-Mourvèdre Olive Hill 2006, Barossa Valley, South Australia, 183418, $34.95
- Delaforce Quinta da Corte Vintage Port 1995, 180836, $34.95