Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at Bayne-Morrison House
The Guild enjoyed its annual “Garden Party” at the historic and elegant Bayne-Morrison House, residence of Guild Governor and Ottawa Citizen Food columnist Gay Cook. We had the added benefit of having one of the original Guild founding Directors, Don Cook, supplying wine for the event and discussing each bottle with each course. If you have not guessed it Don is Gay’s son and a wine distributor living in Oregon, but home for this event!
This event is held on the patio of Gay’s home overlooking her fantastic garden, but this year, no sooner had we sat down to dinner with the last of the reception bubbly than one of the most incredible thunderstorms we have seen in a while drove all of the attendees into the dining and sun rooms. What could have been a washout turned into a close gathering of friends (40 in total) enjoying a most wonderful dinner!
A full menu of small plates was developed by Chef Robert Jutras at Culinary Conspiracy for the party. Here is the menu and the wine pairings:
- Cedar planked scallops with 2008/ 2009 Kato Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
- Mini pizzas with grilled fresh figs, arugula and shaved foie gras with 2010 Domaine de Nizas Coteaux de Languedoc AOC Rose
- Wild mushroom crepe tortes with chevre and wholegrain mustard with 2006 Clos du Val Napa Cabernet
- Duck confit ravioli with rhubarb compote with 2007 Taltarni Pyrenees Cabernet
- Dessert of a light goat cheese tart with fresh strawberries and a dark chocolate drizzle with a 2008 Sparkling Rose: Taltarni Brut Tache (Victoria/Tasmania)
I would like to thank Gay, Don and Robert for making the night such a tremendous success that it was! Thanks also goes to our members who helped make this a memorable evening. Note too that the Kato is now available at many LCBO outlets for all of you that were asking.