Thursday, January 15, 2015
Reported by Alan Atkinson
The latest gathering of unique and obscure single varietal wine lovers (the grape not the participants) came together for the fourth installment of the Century Club on January 15th, 2015 at the Vendange Institute. A number of participants have had the good fortune of participating in all four events and as a result they have had the pleasure of tasting 56 unique wines.
As in previous century club events, we tasted wines that fell in the category of “oh my! : -(“ and as well as in the category of “oh my! : -)”.
A few of the wines that fell in the latter category include:
Livia Feteasca Regala
- 100% Feteasca Regala
- Region: Moldova, Romania
- Tasting Note: An elegant nose with apple, spice and beautifully articulated floral tones. Refreshing with a sweet core of quince and tangerine and a fruity, dry finish.
- Food Match: Try this with barbecued chicken and yellow pepper kebabs
Alpha Estate Axia Malagouzia 2012
- 100% Malagouzia
- Region: Florina, Greece
- Tasting Note: Brilliantly, light yellow in color with greenish tints. Strong and lively nose, suggesting rose petal with floral aromas and sweet spices, melon, litchi with a note of honeysuckle. Round and mellow on the palate, fat but balanced, high in alcohol with plenty of finesse. A richly textured wine with superb length and balance.
- Food Match: green salads, baked vegetables, pasta, low fat fishes and a wide variety of Greek sea food Meze
Rio Madre Rioja 2013
- 100% Graciano
- Region: Rioja, Spain
- Tasting Note: (aged in French oak for ten months) Vivid purple. Smoky blackcurrant, cherry and violet aromas show very good clarity and zesty mineral lift. Juicy and focused on the palate, with the bitter cherry and dark berry flavors becoming sweeter with air. sneaky tannins and lingering berry and floral qualities.
- Food Match: Chorizo, lentil stew, Lamb
Cotnari Grasa de Cotnari 2012
- 100% Grasa
- Region: Moldova, Romania
- Tasting Note: aromas of walnuts and almonds along with suggestions of apricot fruit.
- Food Match: This botrytis-affected wine is a fine match for blue- veined cheeses, nuts or dried fruit.
Unfortunately we didn’t have a volunteer to provide detailed tasting notes however please find below the wines that we did taste that evening.
1st Flight: Whites
- Paco & Lola Albarin?o 2013 , Albarin?o, Rias Baixas, Spain, 350041, $18.95
- Khareba Mtsvane 2012 , Mtsvane, Kakheti, Georgia, 372151, $17.95
- Menade Verdejo 2013 , Verdejo, Rueda, Spain, 392159, $16.95
- Livia Feteasca Regala 2012 , Feteasca Regala, Moldova, Romania, 371625, $11.75
2nd Flight: Whites
- Monopole Blanco 2013 , Viura, Rioja, Spain, 66951, $16.95
- Alpha Estate Axia Malagouzia 2012 , Malagouzia, Florina, Greece, 371666, $17.95
- Royal Tokaji Furmint 2011, Furmint, Hungary, 653220, $14.95
3rd Flight: Reds
- Argento Bonarda 2013, Bonarda, Mendoza, Argentina, 292458, $9.95
- Rio Madre Rioja 2013, Graciano, Rioja, Spain, 354753, $14.95
- D’Alfonso del Sordo Guado San Leo Nero di Troia 2006, Nero di Troia, Puglia, Italy, 379248, $17.95
- Borgogno Langhe Freisa 2012 , Freisa, Piedmont, Italy, 388660, $21.95
4th Flight: Sweet
- Cotnari Grasa de Cotnari 2012 , Grasa?, Moldova, Romania, 73205, $13.95
- Quady Elysium Black Muscat 2013 (375ml), Black Muscat, California, USA, 276840, $14.95
- Mildiani Kindzmarauli 2008, Saperavi, Kakheti, Georgia, 682781, $14.95